Monday, April 20, 2015

#MCM {Jeremiah the Prophet}

Okay, so this crazy, absurd idea for weekly blog posts just kinda came and hit me in the mind earlier today. I was like: "WOAH." Any guesses? Social media posts. I promise it isn't what it sounds like.

In social media there's this thing called "Man Crush Monday". And I thought to myself. What could I take from that? How can I turn this around a little bit? 

Man Crush Monday on No Longer Stone is going to be a quick overview of totally incredible heroes of the Bible! This is gon be fun, y'all. 

Lately during my quiet time with God, I've been reading in the book of Jeremiah. And can I just say: Wow. This prophet is definitely a favorite of mine. 

Why? You might ask. I shall be glad to enlighten you!

1. Jeremiah was called by God at a young age. 

Okay, all y'all teenagers and young adults who be thinking you can't do anything/nobody will take you seriously: The Bible is chock-full of young people being used by God. It seems to me that He loves using us as a vessel of His Truth. 

Even Jeremiah had his doubts about being tremendously used for God's Kingdom: "The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.' 'Ah, Sovereign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.'  But the Sovereign Lord said to me, 'Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,' declares the Lord." Jeremiah 1:4-8

He was set apart by God! He was chosen and called as a young man! How incredibly cool is that? So I don't know about you, but I can relate with that so much! The fact that God can use us youngsters to reach people and do amazing things for His Kingdom...it just astounds me. 
God will call us if only we are available to Him. Jeremiah realized that. He'd been seeking God since he was little, I'm sure, and God recognized Jeremiah's willingness and open heart. 

2. Jeremiah was definitely human--he had his doubts even after being so surely called by God.
Refer back to those verses I quoted. Here's my paraphrase: "Like, what?? God, I'm just a kid!!!" 
He thought he was too young! Throughout the book of Jeremiah there's these times of him just talking to God. Whether he's spouting his feelings and anger or his doubts and complaints...it's in there. 
But here's the thing...God silenced Jeremiah's doubts by showing him continual kindness and reminding him of who He is. He put a passion in Jeremiah's heart and He began to use him in amazing ways.

DUDE, yes please--I want this in my life too!
Refer to chapter 12 and 20:7- to read some of Jeremiah's complaints and doubts.

So, this prophet is already sounding pretty hardcore, aye? Hold on to your seats because things are about to escalate big time!
 3. Jeremiah suffered greatly throughout his years, but he still trusted in God.
- He was beaten multiple times for speaking Truth. (Chapter 20:1-6)
- By the way, he was threatened with death. (Chapter 26) Uh, not fun!
- He was jailed and held captive many times! (Chapters 37 and 40) 
- He was thrown into a cistern. What. Even. (Chapter 38) I don't even know. Man that's rough!!
- He constantly had to deal with stupid-heads. I'm not even joking. (Chapters 37, 42, and 43) These people drive me crazy. When I first read through Jeremiah maybe sometime last year, I actually wrote beside these passages: "Stupid people". Because it's so true. 

4. Jeremiah had a sense of humor. 
Okay, this one's pretty short, but I absolutely love it. He was a funny dude! Kind of sarcastic, I think. At least there's one passage that makes me think so. He was dealing with a false prophet named Hananiah. 
This dude was prophesying peace for Jerusalem when obviously God was saying destruction and captivity would come to the people: "...the prophet Hananiah said to me in the house of the Lord in the presence of the priests and all the people: 'This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel says: 'I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon. Within two years I will bring back to this place all the articles of the Lord's house that Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon removed from here and took to Babylon. I will also bring back to this place Jehoiachin son of Jehoiakim king of Judah and all the other exiles from Judah who went to Babylon,' declares the Lord, 'for I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon.'"

That's what Hananiah had to say. Good sounding things, right? 

"Then the prophet Jeremiah replied to the prophet Hananiah before the priests and all the people who were standing in the house of the Lord. He said, 'Amen! May the Lord do so! May the Lord fulfill the words you have prophesied by bringing the articles of the Lord's house and all the exiles back to this place from Babylon. Nevertheless, listen to what I have to say in your hearing and in the hearing of all the people: From early times the prophets who preceded you and me have prophesied war, disaster and plague against many countries and great kingdoms. But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the Lord only if his prediction comes true.'" Jeremiah 28:1-9

I don't know why, but I just find this whole conversation hilarious. Obviously Jeremiah sincerely wants to have the peace and the articles of the Lord's house come back, but I believe he also knows what God has really said about everything. Later, God tells Jeremiah that Hananiah is false and that Hananiah will die soon. And that comes true. 

5. Jeremiah remained open to God. 
Through the disgusting and horrible times, he kept chugging on after God. He went through so many rough waters, but he understood God cared about him and would always listen and be right there (that's why he felt he was able to freely complain to God...he had such a deep relationship with His Father, and also a great fear).
He persevered amid all the stuff happening around and to him. He kept on keeping on and continually allowed God to use and mold him. He never gave up.

And that, my friends, is why this dude, *ahem* prophet, is incredibly cool and my first #mcm post.

No comments:

Post a Comment