Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#MCM {Timothy}

Hey all! So I meant to write a few other blog posts last week, but it turned out to be a far busier week than I expected. So here I am on Monday for a second installation of #MCM! This week we'll be taking a look at Timothy, but basically
#MCM {Timothy} by Water & Pen
Can I just say... 1 and 2 Timothy are two of my absolute favorite books in the Bible. These few chapters are jam packed with amazingness. So, Timothy has two letters written to him by Paul. And in other letters of Paul, it's noted that Timothy is with him at the time or going to be with him.

I mean, shoot! He traveled with Paul--that's already pretty cool.

Timothy: Greek name meaning 'Honoring God'. From the Greek roots 'timao' which means 'to honor' and 'theos' which means God.

This dude definitely lived out his name.

1. Like Jeremiah, Timothy was called from a young age. 
The letters are chock-full of references regarding Timothy being called as a youngster. He sought after Jesus from infancy--he was open to God.
"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 3:14-15
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12
Can I get an 'Amen' up in here?

2. He had a calling from God and he did what he could to fulfill it.
Paul is always making reference to the special calling that Timothy received and encouraging him to live it out. Looking at what the letters contain, I can only think that some place of leadership in the church is where Timothy was destined to be. A missionary even...as he traveled often with Paul.
"Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience." 1 Timothy 1:18
"Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you."
Guys, this is legit! Timothy had God-given gifts that he used for the purpose and Glory of God and that's just so cool to me. I want to be like that! I want to use up the talents God has given me so there's nothing left at the end!

3. The dude knew how to pray.
Uh, what's cooler than a passionate prayer warrior?
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lies in all godliness and holiness."
Paul wanted him to pray! I mean, that's got to mean he knew how to pray big time...

4. He was strong in his faith.
Not only was he following Jesus from a young age, but it continued and continued.
"If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and the god teaching that you have followed." 1 Timothy 4:6
"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12
"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:5-7
Throughout the letters, Paul is constantly encouraging and directing Timothy to be strong in the faith and to improve always and more and more.

5. Like all the good heroes of the faith, he was human.
He had his struggles and his time of just pure humanness. I mean, he cried for goodness' sake (ref 2 Timothy 1:4). That means he had a gentle and sensitive spirit, though, I think.
Paul was always encouraging him to 'flee the evil desires of youth'. He was always telling him how a servant of God ought to be--often directing him to steer clear of gossip, to be patient, to be slow to anger, and always keep his head. And I think that's absolutely interesting. It means he had major areas to grow in, just like we do. He wasn't perfect. And that's so relate-able. We can read through the letters to Timothy and find out just how much we need to improve on and how we should be as God's servants.

2 Timothy 4 is one of my all-time favorite chapters of the letters. It talks all about being a servant of God and just how we should be. I mean, all of the chapters do...but you know.


Hope this made some sense! Ths was supposed to go out last week, but Mondays are so busy for me and it passed me right by. So here I am two hours from Tuesday and finally posting!


2 comments:

  1. I love what you said about wanting to be all used up in the end, it reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, "This is the true joy in life: being used for a mighty purpose, being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. Life is no brief candle. It's a splendid torch which I hold for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
    ~George Bernard Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! Ah, I was reading this quote and I just was like: YES! Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete